Friday, September 26, 2014

Changing the World

Another day, another rant from me. Again, this one involves being an art major and questions raised by this. Now for the context: English, Writing about the Arts and Humanities. We began discussing our research papers today and we were asked why we do research? Is it really necessary? In case you're wondering, this is not the question I seek to answer. I think we can all agree that there are good points to doing research and we will all do some research at some point in our lives. But the answer we had in class was that it was necessary because we all have an obligation to better the world. Now, I could go off on obligation for hours because I'm not a fan of the view we took on that in class. But, what is it that we do that betters the world? Is it research? Is research the only way? No, obviously not. But the way our discussion went seemed to point more that way and towards majors that use research way more than an art major. And here I begin. 

So, take a seat in my shoes. You're an art major. You want nothing more than to have gallery shows, for people to applaud your name because your name stands behind art that inspires and uplifts. You don't want an office job, you want a studio. You want paint to riddle your clothes; you want ideas to fill every inch of paper you own. But you don't want research. The very thought is repulsive and you cast it as far away from you as possible. If you can call studying art research, than that is the research you will do. The only things you truly enjoy studying are colors and patterns. Now, ask yourself. What do you do that improves the world for good?

What did you come up with? Anything? You didn't find a cure to cancer. You're not a CEO of a company, and you certainly didn't found a company. You don't run a city. In the eyes of too many, you've done nothing. 

But if you're like me, you came up with a whole list of things that you did that were good for the world. You captured a moment of peace in the mountains, just as the sun was setting and the world was slowly covered in a haze of cool colors. Maybe you're a photographer and you've created a memory that won't fade over time, one that carries on past the lives of those involved. Graphic Design? You're the reason people associate certain colors and shapes with the business you worked for. Sculpture? You decorate the houses of thousands. No matter which art form you used, you made a lasting difference on someone's life. On some of my hardest days I am lifted out of the darkness after seeing a piece of art that is truly inspirational. 

So, did you do something to affect the world for the better? Yeah, you did. And what you did inspired someone, changed them for the better. Changing the world isn't something that can only be achieved through the sciences or business. Changing the world is about you being you and doing what you love. The things you do will have an effect, they will change others. And maybe that is done through the sciences. Awesome! You've done what I couldn't. But let me return the favor by doing what you can't, and let me live my dream in the art world. We can both change the world, but we have to do it our own way. Be you, and love you. Enough of the comparisons. I'm truly sick of hearing about all the great things I could be doing if I was doing something else. Trust me, I've thought about all of those options. What I want to do is be an artist, and that's the road I travel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment