Saturday, September 13, 2014

Stereotype Smasher!

   I've always hated stereotypes. They seem to dominate our culture though, looming over each individual reminding us of the "flaws" and "imperfections" we have. However, those "flaws" and "imperfections" are not necessarily actual flaws, just ways that we differentiate from others. As I stated, I have always hated stereotypes. Why, you ask? Well, I am not a stereotype. I don't live up to any of them. Ready for me to show you? First things first, I'm male. However, I don't really like sports but I do love shopping. I have no desire to be an engineer or a doctor, no, I want to be an artist. I have a higher pitched voice and I scream like a girl, seriously. I talk a lot. I like things to be super organized. I actually do enjoy cleaning. I love to cook, and not on a grill, just your every day kitchen cooking. Baking? Heck yes!! So, as you can see, I'm not the stereotypical guy. And I learned that quick because everyone in middle school and high school felt the need to point it out. And it led to me literally hating myself. I hated to hear my voice. I hated to see myself in the mirror. I'm not the guy every said I should be, and so I hated myself. But why?

   Luckily for me, I had a truly great group of friends and I have an outstanding family. My friends kept the stereotypical comments to a low, although occasionally even they would throw out a reminder of the things I hated. My family has been the same way, but they are much better at keeping my mind off of the stereotypes. My mom has been one of the biggest helps for me. I've talked to her for hours about the things that I hate. She always knows what to say and how to help. I guess it helped that she had been through some similar experiences when she was younger. Over time my friends and family helped me to learn that it was okay to be me. It didn't matter that I wasn't the stereotype, it was okay for me to be my unique self. It's been a rough road, and I'm still traveling that road. There are still days when I hate myself, but they are growing fewer and less common. But this isn't about me, this is about the stereotypes of society.

   So, where does that tie in? Well, I'm a major music junkie. Major. I will listen to just about anything and then instantly love it. And recently I've noticed a change in our music. We're now just singing about how much we love sex and partying anymore. And we're also getting over the sappy or depressing love stories. No, we're moving into something new, and it's something that I believe is breaking the walls of our stereotypes. Two songs in particular have really hit me recently. One is by Meghan Trainor (that's right, All About that Bass) and the other is by Taylor Swift (Shake it Off). Both songs have been simultaneously loved and hated by the general population. The people who love these songs hear the message that I hear. The haters? Well, as Taylor tells us, "haters gonna hate". The message that I get from both of these songs is to just be you, and forget about the stereotypes! Meghan specifically focuses on the weight of women, saying that it's okay to not be a "stick-figure, silicone barbie-doll". Taylor just encourages people to "shake it off", referring to the judgments of other people.

   As one who has struggled with self-esteem because of the taunts of the stereotypes we project, I can't help but love these songs. They move mountains in my mind. It's fine to be you! It's okay to be the stereotype-smashing kid who doesn't want to live in the shackles we've created. Just be you, and rock it! A coworker asked me last night if every one in my family was as 'odd' (she couldn't think of a better word at the time) as I am. I laughed a little and said "Nope, not really. I'm the clown of my family." And that's the truth. I am an individual. I'm not just like everyone else in my family, and I certainly do think of myself as quite unique in that setting. My name is James. I love to joke around, even with the most serious of topics. I love art. I love music. And I'm not a stereotypical person. No, I'm a stereotype smasher. They can't exist where I am, and I love it that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment